6. Love You Forever was originally a song Munsch wrote to himself, to help him deal with the grief he and his wife were going through after two stillbirths.
7.Munsch has visited hundreds of schools and daycares for free, often without telling themhe's coming.
11. He started writing stories at age 35.
12.Munsch's books have been translated into 32 languages, including 8 aboriginal languages.
13. As a child, he had an imaginary friend named Bobby Smith, who was very naughty.
17. When he travels, he prefers staying with local families to staying in hotels.
24. Spelling is not his forte.
31. His 2008 stroke has made him forgetful, which is why he doesn't tour anymore.
32. He's a Trekkie.
41. In his book Murmel Murmel Murmel, a male truck driver adopts a baby. Robert based the story on his own experience at the time, as a stay-at-home parent with his adopted son, Andrew.
42. He has a black poodle named Guinness. His previous dog was a black poodle named Cinder
67. His book Get Out of Bed! inspired a Fall Fair parade float in Tavistock, Ontario. On the float, the girl who inspired the book lay in bed while Robert Munsch read to her. It won first prize.
68. His favourite colour is black.
69. Theatre productions of his books have included Little Munsch on the Prairie, Magical Mystery Munsch, Munsch Ado About Nothing and Munschia Mia.
70. Munsch has 71 million copies of his books in print in North America. That's two Robert Munsch books for every Canadian citizen.